Justin's Story and other rants...Enjoy :)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day one (Continued)

   We were told minutes later that the doc thought he had a rare skin disorder called Ichthyosis. Justin was born with a colloidal membrane covering his whole body which was cracking and peeling. He was taken by ambulance to Hershey Penn State Childrens Hospital where he stayed 4 days in the NICU. Which was a very scary situation to go thru. I never thought I'd ever see the inside of the NICU. Has anyone ever thought they would have a sick child, sick enough to grant them a visit to NICU?  The reason he was moved was because the docs were afraid of infection getting into his body thru those open wounds. So, Justin was kept in an incubator (seen above). The first time I ever got to touch his skin was through a rubber glove and I had to have a gown on at all times when opening the incubator doors. The first time I seen him in this...I cried.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I think this blog is great. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to not see my child after he was born. You are so strong though, and you are an amazing mom. I look forward to reading more. Justin looks quite amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete